Position Title: Utility Tech Water
Immediate Supervisor: Crew Foreman
Starting Pay Range: $17.15 / hour
No supervisory responsibilities
Under supervision of supervisor performs semi-skilled manual labor assisting in the installation, maintenance and repair of water supply and distribution facilities and systems.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Duties to be performed under supervisor of supervisor.
- Installing, maintaining and repairing pipes, meters, meter boxes, gate valves, fire hydrants, concrete vaults and other water system components.
- Installs water taps, repairs broken service lines, meter connections, manholes and sewer mains.
- Raises and lowers manholes.
- Clears stopped sewer service lines and main sewer lines.
- Installs sewer manholes, water valves and piping.
- Sets meter boxes and meters, bores under streets when necessary for new service or repairs.
- Inspects storm drains for proper drainage in the event of heavy rain.
- Operates seer jet truck, 2-ton trucks.
- Completes tap cards, work orders.
- Assists plant operators in maintenance as required
- May be required to operate a back hoe, tractor, dump truck
- Learn methods, equipment and materials used in water main, service and meter installations, testing and repair.
- Learn operation and control procedures of electrical pumping equipment.
- Learn to operate a variety of equipment and machines such as jackhammers, compressor and various hand and power tools.
- Communicate with others regarding areas of responsibility and work tasks.
- Performs other related duties as required
Physical and Environmental Conditions
Frequently encounters dirt and dust, noise and vibration, fumes and odors and wetness/humidity. May be frequently exposed to mechanical, chemical and electrical hazards. The position is located in an office, shop and outdoors plant environment. The incumbent frequently lifts up to 25 lbs. and occasionally lift up to 90lbs.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Work days are Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm. This position does not generally require long hours and weekend work, but it may be necessary on occasion.
Minimum Education, Experience and Certification
A high school diploma or equivalent is essential. Additional licensing from TCEQ required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Skills in driving and operating heavy equipment, carpentry, painting and welding
- Knowledge of maintenance and repair of heavy equipment and lawn maintenance equipment
- Ability to read safety procedures, instructions and maintenance schedules
- Ability to operate back hoe tractor, one or two-ton truck, tractor, mowing equipment, air compressor, jack hammer, sewer jet truck and tapping machine.
- Skills in repairing and maintain water, wastewater and storm water systems.
- Ability to read plans for water and sewer lines.
- Extensive knowledge of water distribution systems and wastewater collection systems.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified in this position.
View, download and print a pdf version of this job position here:view pdf