Position Title: Customer Service and Tax Collector Representative
Department: Customer Service
Immediate Supervisor: CSR Manager
Starting Pay Range: $16.00 / hour
No supervisory responsibility
Provides accurate billing for customers. Opens new accounts, closes accounts and assists customers with billing and service problems. Issues permits and collects fees from contractors and plumbers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Services customers at counter, opening new accounts, issuing permits, accepting water bill payments, customer deposits and permit fees
- Maintains computerized customer account database. Update system with name and address changes and requests to transfer service issues, deposit refund check requests.
- Listens to customer complaints and resolves issues within limits of authority. Issues adjustments where appropriate for under/over billing and water leaks.
- Prepares and dispatches work orders; posts and files completed work orders and calls customers with results of work orders.
- Sets up new residential and commercial accounts; quotes fees, issues tap cards to field crew, records on account cards and in computer and maintains appropriate records.
- Runs reports. Corrects errors in billing database. Verifies and closes monthly billing.
- Mails regular bills, calculates final bills, verifies amount of deposit refund and interest, posts information and mails final bills and deposit refunds.
- Maintains file of delinquent accounts and conducts research for change of address and phone numbers. Prepares report on accounts to be written off.
- Assists with the collection of annual tax revenues and the balancing of deposit of funds received.
- Assist with a variety of tax reports.
- Provides relief for the tax assessor-collector in the absence of that person.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Physical and Environmental Conditions
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift or move up to 25 pounds.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Work days are Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm. This position does not generally require long hours and weekend work, but it may be necessary on occasion.
Minimum Education, Experience and Certification
A high school diploma is essential with additional training in accounting and computer operations preferred. A minimum of one year of previous experience customer service, billing and computer data entry is essential and 3 years is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must possess effective written and oral communication skills
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills
- Must have problem-solving techniques and skills
- Knowledge of computer program, ability to operate a computer, typewriter, calculator, telephone, copier and postage machine
- Must possess advanced MS Office product skills
- Knowledge of office procedures, computerized billing, fee collection, computer software and water and sewer systems.
- Ability to deal diplomatically with customers, conduct research and solve billing problems
- Ability to read correspondence, computer reports and completed work orders.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified in this position.
View, download and print a pdf version of this job position here:view pdf